Monday, March 9, 2009

Catching Up: A Random List


I'm way behind here, so I'm just going to post a quick list to get caught up:
  • I read both Slip of the Knife by Denise Mina and Hardly Knew Her by Laura Lippman (go to the bottom of this entry to browse inside Hardly Knew Her). No surprise, I very much liked them both.
  • Lots of Kindle news: The Kindle 2 came out and here a friend describes his experience with it; there is now a Kindle app for the iPhone; and, of course, that whole text to speech brouhaha.
  • Barnes & Noble bought Fictionwise, and so also eReader. Will this mean more ebooks available for Jana? Let's hope so.
  • Some friends recommended the book Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I still need to get it, but I'm hoping once I do that it gets me out of my mystery rut. Here is a brief description:
A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan's California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified "dinery server" on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilization — the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small.

In his captivating third novel, David Mitchell erases the boundaries of language, genre and time to offer a meditation on humanity's dangerous will to power, and where it may lead us.

No comments:

Post a Comment