Friday, April 4, 2008

Laura Lippman book signing

Some friends and I attended the Laura Lippman book signing last night at Lee Booksellers and it was probably my favorite author event ever. I'm always a little afraid to go to these things when I already really love the books because occasionally you realize that you maybe don't like that person too much. And it can kind of ruin the books for you, even if you realize that what's really going on is that you had unrealistic expectations (of, for example, the author being BFF material. Which, by the way, Laura totally is).

She mentioned that she somewhat regularly gets called "sir" even though she doesn't particularly present as masculine and how that is related to the idea of people being invisible. That we're not seen or don't see others. This used to happen to me regularly as well, but it wasn't until she brought it up that I realized that it hasn't happened since I quit working retail. When I worked at the University Bookstore, for example, I once had an entire conversation with a woman who called me sir throughout.

I bought copies of Another Thing to Fall (the new Tess Monaghan) and Every Secret Thing (the first stand-alone novel—I can't believe I haven't read it before).

I'm such a dork: I forgot my camera, remembered I could use my phone, then forgot all about it. I also forgot to ask Td's question about who she'd like to see play Tess in the movie (if it's ever made). What can I say? I was flustered. Or maybe it's all that meth in the water.

From the description for Another Thing to Fall

The California dream weavers have invaded Charm City with their cameras, their stars, and their controversy. . . .

When private investigator Tess Monaghan literally runs into the crew of the fledgling TV series Mann of Steel while sculling, she expects sharp words and evil looks, not an assignment. But the company has been plagued by a series of disturbing incidents since its arrival on location in Baltimore: bad press, union threats, and small, costly on-set "accidents" that have wreaked havoc with its shooting schedule. As a result, Mann's creator, Flip Tumulty, the son of a Hollywood legend, is worried for the safety of his young female lead, Selene Waites, and asks Tess to serve as her bodyguard/babysitter. Tumulty's concern may be well founded. Not long ago a Baltimore man was discovered dead in his own home, surrounded by photos of the beautiful, difficult superstar-in-the-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment