Sunday, March 2, 2008

I've got a beef

I recently decided to read Ian Rankin's John Rebus series. I know there are a bunch of them because I've been hearing good things about them for forever. Obviously, I'd like to read them in order.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I purchased the ebook version of Resurrection Men and while I was enjoying it, I wasn't exactly keeping up with all that was going on. I told this to my pal/nemesis Td over lunch on Friday. He then informs me that of course I can't follow it—Resurrection Men is one of the later books in the series.

Which brings me to my point: for the love of all that is holy, why is it so hard to find a list of titles by an author that is sorted in chronological order?

Amazon doesn't do it (Oh, don't get me started on Amazon's search results. Or how hard they make it to figure out which edition you're seeing). You can't even count on the publisher to list them all in the book in the right order without mixing in titles not in the series. Ian Rankin's website doesn't appear to do it, either. It looks like the wikipedia page for DI John Rebus lists them at the bottom. And later on Friday, the ever-helpful Td sent me a link to someone's listmania page at Amazon that lists them in order.

So, yes, the information is available. But wouldn't it make more sense for the seller (whether Amazon or eReader or whoever) to provide it to me? Think how much more money I'd be willing to spend if I weren't so busy being annoyed.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a helpful list. This is from a site I referenced often back in the day when I was reviewing mystery novels.

    Ian Rankin is, hands down, my favorite mystery writer, and I have the worst fictional-character-crush on John Rebus. It's beyond rational, so I won't even begin to explain it. I hope that once you get started with Knots and Crosses, you'll find it as enjoyable as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jessica! Now I just need ereader.com to carry Knots and Crosses in ebook form.

    ReplyDelete