Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Likeness by Tana French

I actually finished this one a while back. If you recall, I ended up being really disappointed in her first book. Because of that, I hadn't planned to read this when I first heard about it. Then I read this review. And thought about how much promise In the Woods showed. I'm glad I decided to read it because this one did not disappoint.
Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still recovering. Transferred out of Dublin’s Murder squad at her own request, she vows never to return. That is, until her boyfriend, Detective Sam O’Neill, calls her one beautiful spring morning, urgently asking her to come to a murder scene in the small town of Glenskehy.

It isn’t until Cassie sees the body that she understands Sam’s insistence. The dead girl is Cassie’s double, and she carries ID identifying her as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie herself used years ago when she worked undercover. The question becomes not only who killed this girl, but who was this girl?
Since I finished this I've started reading Field of Blood by Denise Mina and I'm seeing a lot of similarities between these two authors. I'm not the only one—this blogger compares Mina, French, and Val McDermid.

No comments:

Post a Comment